Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why sterling silver?

Ever ask yourself why you do the things you do? I've been using sterling silver as my main material for many years now and I don't think I ever asked myself why I choose this material over others. When I began making jewelry at the age of 14, I used base metals and beads. I started using sterling silver when I was learning metalsmithing. I think using precious metals was my symbol of becoming a professional. But when I think about it now, there are many reasons why I prefer making and wearing sterling silver jewelry over the alternatives. Here are the main reasons I can think of the top of my head:
  1. Affordable - Sterling silver jewelry are affordable! Much more than other precious metals like gold, platinum etc. Even compared to base metal jewelry, sterling silver gives you better value for money.
  2. Lasting - With proper caring, silver jewelry can last for many years while other base metal jewelry tarnish and lose their original look.
  3. Color - are you a gold or silver color person? most people tend to prefer one or the other. I personally prefer silver. Even when I bought a wedding ring that was made of gold, I choose white gold.
  4. Sensitivity - Many people have sensitive skin and can't wear non precious metals.

Can you think of more reasons? I would love to hear them. Feel free to post your comments.

No comments: