Thursday, April 14, 2011

Rose inspired jewelry

I am a big fan of flowers when it comes to sources of inspiration. There are just so many beautiful shapes and colors that I can always find new ideas for jewelry just by taking a look at the nature around me.

Lately I've been infatuated with roses. Unlike other more simple flower shapes, roses have a more complex form with many layers of petals.
When working in sterling silver, I choose to convey the depth of the layers by oxidizing some parts of the rose. This way I get some contrast that make the flower shape stand out much more.

Another dilemma when making sterling silver roses is whether or not to add color. Roses are of course colorful while sterling silver is not. Lucky for me I don't have to choose. In some of the jewelry designs I combined gemstones that add some color. In other jewelry designs I left in silver color alone thinking the roses were pretty enough and needed nothing more.

Take a look and decide for yourself which do you like best?

1. Silver rose ring
2. Dangle silver and red Agate earrings
3. Sterling silver rose stud earrings

No comments: